Saturday, May 19, 2012

Roll Over Beethoven


           I always try to keep a positive outlook, especially when writing my blog posts.  However, I also want to give an honest and realistic account of my time spent in Sarajevo.  So, I have to confess that lately, I’ve felt a bit more frustrated and pessimistic than I normally do.
            I respect and admire my colleagues, as musicians and as friends, and it bothers me when the working conditions in our orchestra as less than ideal.  In the past two months, it seems like our rehearsal schedule is constantly being changed at the last minute, sometimes simply at the whim of a conductor, sometimes because unforeseen scheduling conflicts, and sometimes to accommodate our collaborators in the opera and ballet companies.  Most of the musicians in the orchestra want to perform well, and many have fairly flexible schedules, so often we accept the last-minute changes with few complaints.  However, it is difficult to come to rehearsals well prepared when we don’t know when we will be rehearsing.  Furthermore, my colleagues with families or students have to make sacrifices in order to attend unplanned rehearsals.  Part of me admires that everyone is fairly flexible and laid-back.  But part of me is angry that my colleagues do not demand better working conditions.
            When I lived in Chicago, most of the gigs that I played involved players who are members of the American Federation of Musicians.  The musicians’ union allows players who are at the top of their professions to demand a minimum (and timely) payment, and sets certain standards for working.  When I was contracted for a gig, I knew exactly where and when I would rehearse and how much I would be paid.  I even knew that I was guaranteed a certain amount of break time within each rehearsal.  As a result, I could practice and prepare my reeds accordingly, and was able to play my best. 
It is very difficult to play as well when I feel frustrated and degraded.  I try not to make excuses for myself, and to play as well as I can no matter the circumstances, but I don’t always succeed.  The week, the Sarajevo Philharmonic played Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9 in collaboration with the Music Academy.  Frankly, it was a disaster, due to very poor organization and leadership.  I frequently felt like screaming at the conductor and storming out of rehearsals, but I mostly held back my anger, out of respect for my colleagues and the academy students who were working so hard to make the best of the situation.  Still, I was horrified when I walked onstage for the performance last night and saw a sold-out concert hall full of eager and happy audience members, since I knew we couldn’t do justice to such a great piece.  I tried to play well, but I didn’t.  It is bad enough to be ashamed of a performance, and it is even worse when there are nearly 1000 people watching, plus countless more on live television.  But, it’s over, and all I can do is try to play better in the future.
When I talk to my colleagues about my frustrations regarding unpredictable schedules, delayed payments, and rude conductors, they seem to share my feelings.  However, they also say things like, “I’m just happy for my health”, or “Nobody dies from a bad performance”.  I admire that they maintain a sense of perspective.  However, as my roommate Sara pointed out, it is possible to grateful for what you have while still demanding to be treated well.  Professional musicians usually have very high expectations of themselves, and work quite hard to become skilled in their area of expertise.  There is no reason why we shouldn’t expect to always be treated as professionals. 
Although I struggle with the competitiveness in my field back in Chicago, I am looking forward to returning to work environments that are protected by the musicians’ union.  I am starting to feel even more grateful that the previous generation of performers, including some of my teachers, collaborated to demand reasonable working conditions, better payment, pensions, and job security.  I am hopeful that one day, the professional musicians of Sarajevo will be able to do the same.  It is possible…

No comments:

Post a Comment